First Hike of the trip!!!! (By Lorelei)

Today is the first real day of our vacation, and I’m insanely excited!!! We went on a pretty long hike which our guide said it was about two miles. It felt like longer. We saw lots of amazing wildlife, though! This is my first time being in a tropical rainforest, so I was pretty excited. The first bit of the hike was pretty quiet, but before long we came across a line of leaf cutter ants. Our guide told us about how they didn’t eat the leaves, but instead bright them back to their anthill, where they grow mushrooms. The ants are kinda like farmers! Of course, I already knew all of this.

We saw many other animals, including keel billed toucans, some emo peacocks I can’t remember the name of, and laughing hawks. My favorite animal by far, though, was the eyelash pit viper. It was sooooo cute!!!! Our guide said that they use a special organ in their head to sense the body heat of their prey, and then ambush them. I already knew that too. Anyway, yesterday was an exciting premiere to our time in Costa Rica!

- Lorelei 





Comments

  1. Lorelei, awesome post! I love the photos -- did you take them? I want to hear more about the emo peacocks. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Costa Rica: Our Favorites -- Pura Vida!

Ziplining like Superman and Swinging like Tarzan (By Elliott)

Off to Costa Rica!!!